OVR SCCA Forum
July 11, 2020, 11:14:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Avatar the movie... NO SPOILERS PLEASE  (Read 6665 times)
Bub
Crashtest Dummy

#13 STC Chevy Turbo Sonic

« on: December 26, 2009, 03:05:31 PM »

Just figured I'd put my 2 cent opinion out here for anyone that might be interested.   I've seen it 2 times this past week in 3d IMAX.  IMO simply one of the best movies I have ever seen.  (coming from a 35 year old)  From visuals to sound and story Cameron totally hit this one out of the park.  I've been with a couple groups of people and literally it left me and others pretty much speechless immediately afterward.  Some may not agree, but if you have thought about seeing it and haven't do it before it leaves the theater... (especially in 3d.. IMAX or not)  For a movie that is 2:40 long it does not feel like it at all.  Simply amazing. 
pylnrcr
AX Chief's round table member
Was Novice Long Ago

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 03:48:20 PM »

I've also seen it twice and will go again soon. Agreed that the animation is amazing and it's easy to sit through the long movie while totally memorized. Ditto the advise to see it in 3D on a big screen.

Bruno  

(and I'm 49....)
wheelsoffury

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 05:06:51 PM »

I went to see it as well. I thought the effects were amazing, but I have to be honest. I'm kinda sick of stories where the evil government tries to kill all the aliens, and more so, that a "marine" would try to kill all his fellow "marines". I am all about good science fiction, but I was hoping for a more original story. I think I have to give it no better than a 3 out of 5.

Gary Nolan - BSP Mad Man, and a Heckuva Nice Guy
Leonard
Calendar Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 05:54:35 PM »

I went to see it as well. I thought the effects were amazing, but I have to be honest. I'm kinda sick of stories where the evil government tries to kill all the aliens, and more so, that a "marine" would try to kill all his fellow "marines". I am all about good science fiction, but I was hoping for a more original story. I think I have to give it no better than a 3 out of 5.

What happened to no spoilers?  /sigh

Leonard
65 EM
pylnrcr
Was Novice Long Ago

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 07:13:24 PM »

What happened to no spoilers?  /sigh

Yeah.... what he said!!! Since he brought it up though, he's right. (BTW - it wasn't a government, it was a mega corporation with mega bucks.... i think) Story line gets a 3, Animation gets a 10. Bottom line though is see it, it's really cool. As my daughters teenage boyfriend said "dude, you fall in love with the characters" and he's one of the captains of Hilliard Darby's wrestling team, tough as chit! Sure didn't expect that comment from him....  Huh

Bub
Crashtest Dummy

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 03:43:10 AM »

I agree with the falling in love with the characters thing...  Kind of like Titanic which was also by Cameron...  There are ups, downs, happy, and sad and plenty of action to go along with the softer, sweeter side of the story.  I think both movies share a lot of the same aspects in that respect.  I'm not much of an emotional guy when it comes to most movies, but I'll tell you right here and now I found my 3d glasses getting steamed up a couple of times from the love story side of the movie.  (both times I went)  Not really giving anything specific here away.. anyone who has seen the movie knows what I'm talking about though.  I think the worst thing about Avatar is that when it comes out on bluray the viewing experience will be worse than the theaters unless they make use of these new 3d TV's they are starting to push since the release.  I imagine that is the whole push though... to start selling these 3d capable displays... 
lao ce
Global Moderator
Forum Veteran

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 11:01:35 AM »

Just figured I'd put my 2 cent opinion out here for anyone that might be interested.   I've seen it 2 times this past week in 3d IMAX.  IMO simply one of the best movies I have ever seen.  (coming from a 35 year old)  From visuals to sound and story Cameron totally hit this one out of the park.  I've been with a couple groups of people and literally it left me and others pretty much speechless immediately afterward.  Some may not agree, but if you have thought about seeing it and haven't do it before it leaves the theater... (especially in 3d.. IMAX or not)  For a movie that is 2:40 long it does not feel like it at all.  Simply amazing. 
So if a movie is visually pleasant and the story is simple enough that can be the best movie of someone's life? It doesn't sound too challenging to make these kinds of movies, just link together enough cpu to have power and spend enough on people doing the animation. Easy to repeat this, I bet pocahontas 2 will be out next year around this date. Smiley
Bub
Crashtest Dummy

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 09:26:26 PM »

Graphically intense and the simple good versus evil worked for Starwars.   Smiley  That has to be way up on the list for a lot of people.
pylnrcr
Was Novice Long Ago

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 10:46:09 PM »

[/quote]
So if a movie is visually pleasant and the story is simple enough that can be the best movie of someone's life?
[/quote]

We'll..... yeah! Used to rent those type on long weekends!  Shocked Cool
lao ce
Global Moderator
Forum Veteran

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 09:47:31 AM »

Graphically intense and the simple good versus evil worked for Starwars.   Smiley  That has to be way up on the list for a lot of people.
yes, this is the point.
Don't misunderstand me, I like it, it is an entertaining waste of time to watch it, and one of the best fantasy saga, it was the opening of a new era. Star wars has some other values in it besides the visual effects and some deeper thoughts besides the good vs evil.  But it is far from being one of the best movies in my life, simply because these movies are far from life.

It is difficult to see the weather... The dark clouds everywhere! Smiley
Bub
Crashtest Dummy

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 06:10:14 PM »

I never expected it to near 2.5 billion bucks, but back in my first posting in December I knew I really liked it..  Aparently enough folks out there did also to make it #1 all time in earnings and currently #15 all time Adjusted for inflation.  Here in a couple of weeks the brakes will be put on I assume with Alice in Wonderland taking over all of the IMAX screens.... 

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=avatar.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: