OVR SCCA Forum
August 20, 2017, 10:07:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Entering the race scene  (Read 3472 times)
richscotti
Forum Veteran

« on: October 28, 2014, 06:38:39 PM »

I have decided to start plans to begin Club Racing. Looking at an IT car Thursday. May be able to begin this coming season, we'll see. I have been infected. The preliminary questions begin, novice permit being the first and the process obtaining. The car should be ready or nearly there. Now me and the personal equipment needs.
Monkey
Forum Veteran

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 07:08:25 PM »

Personally, just me. Why don't you start out in Time Trial or something else that doesn't involve wheel to wheel racing?

-Kyle
2012 BMW 128i
#31 STX
31rx7
Global Moderator
Street Racer

Stirring the pot...

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 08:26:15 PM »

People you need to speak with for guidance:

- Matt Downing
- Denins Sirois

The car is the least of your worries. The logistics and support system around you is most important. Find experienced people you can paddock with and hang with.

My info is a bit dated, but I understand it is still along these lines.

The path begins with applying for a Novice permit. At one point, you had to get two SCCA licensed drivers to stand up for you and say you weren't an idiot or psychopath.  You will also need the SCCA Physical form filled out by a doc, which includes an EKG.  Once you get your Novice Permit, you'll need the driver's equipment.

The latest GCR will have the latest info regarding spec level, but you will need:

- Drivers suit
- SA2010 helmet.  I believe full face is required these days.
- Neck restraint (ie, Hans)
- Depending on layers on drivers suit, nomex underwear. Suggest 2 sets.
- Nomex socks. Get 2 or 3 pair.
- Nomex gloves. Suggest 2 layer.
- Not sure of the latest requirement on shoes, but assume you'll need Nomex driving shoes. Back in the dark ages, all we needed was shoes with leather uppers. I had a pair of white leather nurses shoes. Pure sex.

Don't go cheap on any of the above. You don't need the pimpy Stand21 suit, but you should get a nice high quality suit and related that will last for years.

Next, sign up for an SCCA Drivers School.  Not sure on the latest regs (read the GCR) but the old regs were that you had to do two (2) SCCA schools to get signed off on your Novice Permit so you could race.  If you did well and behaved on your first school, you could petition to waive the second school.

Once you get your Novice Permit, you have to finish two races without incident to get your Regional Racing License. Once you get your regional license, you have to run a couple more in the same year to qualify for your National Racing License should you desire to run Nationals / Majors.

I might suggest renting a car for the first weekend. If you can borrow one, event better. I borrowed cars for the first few races (thanks Andy Toth and Bob Bednardczuk!) and it was the smartest thing I did.  It was great to have somebody with me that knew the routine and that way I could just focus on showing up where I needed to be at the right time.

I've seen too many people take the plunge on the car without fully appreciating the rest of stuff that goes with it, and they end up with a car in thier garage that they never run.  People buy a car thinking they can borrow trailers and tow vehicles from friends, and suddenly their friends disappear.

Of course, endless funding can cover up a lot of bad decisions and mistakes...

« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 08:38:49 PM by 31rx7 » Logged

I have two big heavy 'Murican race cars. Must be an old guy thing.
richscotti
Forum Veteran

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 09:46:54 PM »

just putting a toe in the water now. thanks for the words friends, i will proceed with caution. renting a car may be a good idea. i am aware of the helmet, under ware, suit, shoes, transponder, gloves and especially neck restraint needed, etc...I, of coarse must to do the right schools/training, those requisites i intend to attain.  I can get three people who have licenses who will say I am not a psychopath but maybe not an idiot, after all, this is racing. Health requirements, including an MMPI AND EKG should not be a problem.   all advice is much welcomed, thanks rich and kale.  we'll see how it shakes out.
Monkey
Forum Veteran

Re:
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 10:32:42 PM »

Rich, I'd talk to Andrew Gilbert too if you can. He's been building a Spec E30 car and has been competing in Time Trials for NASA the past 2 years. Pretty sure he'll have some input

-Kyle
2012 BMW 128i
#31 STX
downingracing

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 10:27:06 PM »

I've walked several people thru this process over the past few years and am happy to help!  There are many ways to get your race license and acquire the necessary equipment.  Let me know where you are located - I can be available for a call or to meet and talk racing almost anytime.  I'll message you my cell #.  I've been club racing for 15 years.  I started with showroom stock (civic) then moved to improved touring (same civic converted) and now running touring 4 (solstice).

Matt Downing

Matt Downing
richscotti
Forum Veteran

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 09:56:06 PM »

Thanks Matt we will talk. Just putting a toe in the water right now.
downingracing

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 12:07:32 PM »

Buy this:  http://prodracing.com/prodcar/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15798

Great deal on a head and neck device and a good start towards purchasing the required safety equipment.  Smiley

Matt Downing
glenn

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 05:19:28 PM »

GREAT DECISION!!!!

I agree, Matt Downing can help you thru the whole process. it sounds more complicated than it really is.

Get to driver school early next year and hope to see you at the track!
jmcfarland
Novice

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 09:09:51 AM »

There is an IT Rabbit for sale in the ads at a great price. That would be a great starter car, if still available. I've run VW's for years. They are still very competetive and there is great support across the country!

John McFarland
Full Circle Motorsports
Mentor, OH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: