OVR SCCA Forum
July 07, 2020, 04:08:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Offical SCCA number?  (Read 6586 times)
Synolimit
Novice

« on: October 24, 2014, 03:49:47 AM »

I'm a member now and this past summer I did some autoX and got a number that day.  I don't want to buy numbers more than once.   What makes its 100% offical?  I didn't get anything from scca but my member number.

Thanks
frsbaum
AX Chief's round table member

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 07:22:01 AM »

I assume you are asking about your car number?
We don't have permanent numbers assigned to people.  It is generally on a first to register basis for that event.  The number must be unique for that class or combined class (BS #11 and CS#11 would be a conflict if both running in SR combined).

Now also generally once someone picks a number for themselves they stick with for every event.  We have many members that regularly run at 7-10 events a season for many years.  In case of a number conflict at the event, the solo chair or registration chair or T&S chair will make a change and probably side with the established person first.  In case of not so established person but SCCA Member vs Weekend member, I also side with the SCCA member. 

When I was a novice, I checked the results from a few events to see if my number was "unofficially" spoken for in my class and then went with it.  Also MotorSportReg won't allow duplicates in class, so you really want to establish yourself sign up early.

See you out there next year!

Out of curiosity, what number where you thinking about for what class?

Steven Schairbaum
#4 HS Honda Civic 1.5T 6MT
Rich Grunenwald
Global Moderator
Drag Racer

Stirring the pot...

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 07:24:54 AM »

I'm a member now and this past summer I did some autoX and got a number that day.  I don't want to buy numbers more than once.   What makes its 100% offical?  I didn't get anything from scca but my member number.

Thanks
For autocross, you can generally choose your number and run it all season. There are no "reserved numbers" or "assigned numbers" for cars, and so as long as somebody has not registered at an event with your number, you can run it at that event.  

It's a good idea to have magnetic numbers so you can run a variety of numbers. For example, if your get an 8 and a 1, you can run 81, 18, 1, 8.

For example, I run 92 on my car and have the decals permanently affixed. But, I've been at events where somebody else in my class has that number so I will blank out the 9 or 2 to run 2 or 9 for that event.

Rich
Rich

I have two big heavy 'Murican race cars. Must be an old guy thing.
Synolimit
Novice

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 02:51:25 PM »

I assume you are asking about your car number?
We don't have permanent numbers assigned to people.  It is generally on a first to register basis for that event.  The number must be unique for that class or combined class (BS #11 and CS#11 would be a conflict if both running in SR combined).

Now also generally once someone picks a number for themselves they stick with for every event.  We have many members that regularly run at 7-10 events a season for many years.  In case of a number conflict at the event, the solo chair or registration chair or T&S chair will make a change and probably side with the established person first.  In case of not so established person but SCCA Member vs Weekend member, I also side with the SCCA member. 

When I was a novice, I checked the results from a few events to see if my number was "unofficially" spoken for in my class and then went with it.  Also MotorSportReg won't allow duplicates in class, so you really want to establish yourself sign up early.

See you out there next year!

Out of curiosity, what number where you thinking about for what class?

I see.  So worst case I put some painters tape in front of my numbers and make a new one? 

I'm forced into XP, so I'm only running against a couple of people.  Looking to do time trials next year with lots of track days.
Synolimit
Novice

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 02:53:33 PM »

Thanks
For autocross, you can generally choose your number and run it all season. There are no "reserved numbers" or "assigned numbers" for cars, and so as long as somebody has not registered at an event with your number, you can run it at that event.  

It's a good idea to have magnetic numbers so you can run a variety of numbers. For example, if your get an 8 and a 1, you can run 81, 18, 1, 8.

For example, I run 92 on my car and have the decals permanently affixed. But, I've been at events where somebody else in my class has that number so I will blank out the 9 or 2 to run 2 or 9 for that event.

Rich
Rich

Gotcha.  But I have to go permanent too.  My cars aluminium so no magnets. 
AlanLGuy
AX Chief's round table member
Keyboard Enthusiast

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 03:11:07 PM »

If you are in XP then don't take Beermans number or the Fiats and you are probably good. I think the most XP cars we usually have is around 3, so chances of conflict are almost nil

- Alan Guy
#89 2013 Scion FR-S - Raven Black
#89 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S - Black, Blue, and Rust
Rich Grunenwald
Global Moderator
Drag Racer

Stirring the pot...

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 03:14:25 PM »

Non-ferrous cars have used these with some success.  Key is to keep the car and the numbers spotlessly clean.

http://www.soloperformance.com/Reusable-Vinyl_c_431.html

or these

http://www.soloperformance.com/Static-Cling_c_432.html

If you go traditional permanent, keep a couple rolls of painters tape handy so you can cross out a digit or add a 1 to get a unique number.

Synolimit
Novice

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 12:53:52 AM »

If you are in XP then don't take Beermans number or the Fiats and you are probably good. I think the most XP cars we usually have is around 3, so chances of conflict are almost nil

That's what I'm thinking.  Thanks
Synolimit
Novice

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 12:55:05 AM »

Non-ferrous cars have used these with some success.  Key is to keep the car and the numbers spotlessly clean.

http://www.soloperformance.com/Reusable-Vinyl_c_431.html

or these

http://www.soloperformance.com/Static-Cling_c_432.html

If you go traditional permanent, keep a couple rolls of painters tape handy so you can cross out a digit or add a 1 to get a unique number.

Will do, thanks
BeerMan
Was Novice Long Ago

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 08:05:45 AM »

I'm forced into XP, so I'm only running against a couple of people.  Looking to do time trials next year with lots of track days.

No, no, no.  You're not forced to run XP, you're privileged to run XP.  XP is where the cool guys hang out.  None of that mamby-pamby street tire stuff for us.  We also don't bother spending hour after hour wondering if that new NGK spark plug is a legal mod.  Welcome to the XP club, Dude.

BeerMan

BTW, I've also found that magnets do quite poorly on some of our XP cars.  For temporary numbers, I found the Reusable Vinyl to work much better for me than the static cling.  The static clings tended to have trouble when it started raining.

The reusable stuff tends to get some dirt buildup on the leading edge of the sticky side over time, but it's no big deal.  It is basically a thicker vinyl stock that has a little less "stick", so it holds it's shape well when you peel it off.  I think I might still have a roll of White Reusable stuff in my garage that you can have for free if you want it.  I'll look tonight when I get home.
Rich Grunenwald
Global Moderator
Drag Racer

Stirring the pot...

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 08:35:21 AM »

^^^ I guess everyone has their own definition of "cool".   For now, I'll let BeerMan bask in the glow of his own delusions.

Back to topic...

I have also used contact paper for this.  Cheap and plentiful.   Takes a little effort to do nice numbers but easy peasy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: