OVR SCCA Forum
December 18, 2017, 04:48:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do with my car for winter - Need ideas  (Read 2661 times)
Sladek

« on: November 04, 2015, 09:14:45 AM »

So from December 7 through February 19 I will essentially be gone and away from the subaru with the exception of maybe a day or two here and there. i dont really want to leave my car sitting all winter outside (no garage, apartment life sux) so im looking to the people that have experience with this for ideas. id get my girlfriend to just drive it every now and then but she isnt able to drive stick so the best shed be able to do it start it and let it run but ive heard thats not great if you dont run it around.

any help is appreciated!

Chris Sladek (slay-deck Smiley) - 2015 Grey Subaru STI
downingracing

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 09:37:29 AM »

Self Storage may be an option for you.  I've rented month to month storage units that I've stored cars in for the winter or to just get them out of my way.  Check with auto insurance to ensure storage like this is covered with existing policy.  (shouldn't be an issue, but worth checking)  Price I've paid is between $75-100/mo. at the local (2 miles from my house) location.  There were cheaper options, but I like the close option.  Don't know Subaru, but I've left Honda, Pontiac, Ford, Porsche, and others sit for a few months with no issues.  (not even starting them - put them up in the air and let them sit under a cover)

Matt

Matt Downing
Miniata
Forum Veteran

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 01:04:53 PM »

I routinely store 3+ cars for the winter, taking them off the road for 3-5 months, although if it is a mild winter and we get a spell where the roads are completely clear of salt and slush and snow I might take them out for some exercise. In the past if the winter was harsh enough, only the Forester XT would get driven for months at a time. I don't do any major prep before letting them sit for the winter. Usually I'll air up the tires by 5-10 psi above the recommended range, fill up the gas tank, and put a battery maintainer on the battery. Been doing it this way for about ten years, no problems. Sometimes I'll use a car cover, but not always. If you don't have access to power for a battery maintainer, disconnect the battery.

Keith Miller
#70 HS
#70 STS
31rx7
Global Moderator
Street Racer

Stirring the pot...

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 10:45:28 AM »

Agree with Keith above.  2 months is a short enough time that you can apply some basic preventive measures (fill up gas, battery tender, tires) that the car should be fine mechanically.  I'd suggest renting a garage (some apartment complexes rent out their spare garages) and keeping it there.

I have two big heavy 'Murican race cars. Must be an old guy thing.
Sladek

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 11:00:33 AM »

yeah i figured storing it would be the best option

thanks guys!

TURBOED
Keyboard Enthusiast

Re:
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 07:20:37 PM »

Break up with your girlfriend and find one that can drive a manual?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Jerry
64 SR (BS) S2000
Sladek

Re:
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 08:38:52 AM »

Break up with your girlfriend and find one that can drive a manual?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Cheesy im slowly teaching her, shes just not there yet. when i finally pick up a DD ill let her beat up on that

Chief

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 10:06:10 PM »

I have extra storage spaces at my house.  50 a month? I'm located in Baltimore, Oh.

old school babe magnet

Gray 7 SR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: