OVR SCCA Forum
August 20, 2017, 02:00:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The fine print - motorsport's lab  (Read 1814 times)
GaryK

« on: May 13, 2016, 08:21:51 AM »

Any of you guys get the motor sports lab ride? My wife grouponed it for my birthday and it is tomorrow. There are a significant amount of rules..  a couple noteworthy items: gratuity is based on the full amount not wait you paid.. so my wife probably paid 100-150 bucks for this.. but the full amount is 500! Another thing that bothers me is they limit to 6500 rpm, or they charge you for excessive wear. That means instead of looking ahead on an autox I am watching the tach? Maybe the lambo has much taller gears.. who knows.  There is also a ton of stuff about damage..

This is impacting my enthusiasm..

frsbaum
AX Chief's round table member

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 09:42:21 AM »

I have not heard of Motorsport Lab, but your post combined with being in a boring meeting got me reading. Holy crap, that is a long list of fine print.  Funny that they will automatically charge $1000 if you go above 6501 RPM, but will waive that charge if you pre-agree to a $20 waiver.  Same thing with bumper damage, scratches, and tires/wheels (all 3 are separate waivers).  I'd go for the Tier 1 protection, shift early going into 2nd, and then give the cones some space.  Still sounds like fun, at least listening to the V10.

Edit - Still in the boring meeting.  People on yelp seem to be divided by those who actually went and those who signed up, read the forms, and then cancelled.  The people that actually went sound like they had a great time and that it wasn't anywhere close to as Draconian as the sign up sheet looks. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 09:55:43 AM by frsbaum » Logged

Steven Schairbaum
#4 HS Honda Civic 1.5T 6MT
GaryK

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 01:36:52 PM »

They seam to really want to push Autocross.. I bet we know people who know people. It sucks going out to have fun and having to commit to any damage (that you may or may not have done) on a car that cost as much as house. Yeah there is literally pages of places where you can 'waive' liability. You bet I am doing a walk around the car with a cell phone before taking it out. I am sort of thinking this is just plain extortion.

Sure take my credit card number... Screw with me and I dispute the charge.. no buddy puts Visa in the corner Smiley

BeerMan
Was Novice Long Ago

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 04:13:42 PM »

Screw the Diving Experience.  I want to sign up to be a "driving instructor-Sherpa".  It sounds like that's a pretty damn good paycheck.
31rx7
Global Moderator
Street Racer

Stirring the pot...

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 08:35:46 PM »

So, here's what they advertise:

EXPERIENCE DETAILS:

90 Minutes, group/team based experience.
15 Minutes of safety and driving instruction on our available Supercars
3 laps around our autocross course
Accompanied by a driving sherpa for full-service instruction and education

PRICING:
2-Lap Lap Autocross Experience is $399 (Guests are free of Charge)
3-Lap Lap Autocross Experience is $549 (Guests are free of Charge)
4-Lap Lap Autocross Experience is $649 (Guests are free of Charge)

I don't care if you are driving a supercar or not.  If you can't use its capabilities, this is a not something of interest to me. 

Sort of like a night with a supermodel and only getting to first base.

I have two big heavy 'Murican race cars. Must be an old guy thing.
GaryK

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 08:28:03 AM »

99 bucks for a groupon.

Beats trying to buy a super car.

GaryK

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 05:14:24 PM »

Event was way more laid back and friendly then the contract. I had fun. A lambo does fit me very well. It wasn't quite as fast as I hoped, more than likely all the nannies were on because traction control kicked in a couple of time. Also the flappy paddles were static and a little far from the steering wheel than I am used to so  (probably just a practice thing). Still a beautiful car, every inch of it and the sound! I think I need to add 'sound' to my list of next car requirements.. sounds way better than my 'farty' 4g63.
Banshee

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 03:51:20 PM »

Sound makes a big difference in the driving experience....I love the sound of mine....

'04 Seal Grey GT3(SSP)
Lori & Greg McMillan
#168 & #68
In the stable:
Bad Ass 2017 Civic Type-R
'07 Guards Red C2S Cabrio (SS)
'07 Civic Si (DSP)
'09 Fit Sport (HS)
cheese please
Novice

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 06:17:01 PM »

Edit: Jebus... I didn't see how long ago this was or that you had already done it. I got to drive both and enjoyed the lambo more as well.

I did this last year. The paperwork is insane and almost scared me and my ladyfriend away, but I had already payed for the groupon so...

One of the first things they say to you is that the paperwork is to scare away the idiots and assholes. They are strict about the rev limiter thing. They try to get you into second gear quickly and that's about it. I drove as hard as I felt like I wanted to and smacked a cone without drama. My guest was thrilled, I was a little underwhelmed because what good is a screaming V8 at 4000 rpms.

Make sure you have your drivers license and that all drivers are over 21 years of age as it is technically a very short rental agreement.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 06:20:09 PM by cheese please » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: