OVR SCCA Forum
July 23, 2018, 01:37:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mid Ohio PCA Events?  (Read 288 times)
RandyT

« on: April 09, 2018, 07:30:06 PM »

Have any of you run at any of the Mid Ohio PCA events with the Porsche club?  We're itching to get out and do some stuff and since they run at Circleville and are reasonably close with manageable weather this weekend we're considering going there.

Anyone else interested?

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
dps214

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 08:09:33 PM »

ASCC has a dragway 42 event (or possibly two?) this weekend. Their events aren't my favorite but I'd run there over circleville just about every time and it's not too much further away.

Dan Shea
'90 Miata - 13 STS
'15 Fiesta ST - not an autocross car, I swear
'86 944 Turbo - probably not currently on fire
'00 M Roadster SC
RandyT

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 08:24:24 PM »

Is there a specific problem with Circleville?  Dragway 42 is a lot farther away for us.  We're only about 30-40 minutes from Circleville.

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
B3NN3TT

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 10:10:32 PM »

Circleville is TIGHT - it's a kart track. Good for Miatas and such. And the track is exceedingly abrasive - I cord a tire every time I race there.

-Andy
2000 Roush Cougar - #71 SMF
2008 Bullitt #5389
RandyT

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 10:30:51 PM »

OK, so it may be quite a bit of an adventure for the Thunderbird then?

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
B3NN3TT

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 10:41:47 PM »

OK, so it may be quite a bit of an adventure for the Thunderbird then?

I think everybody should run it once to decide - I have a ball in the Cougar.

-Andy
2000 Roush Cougar - #71 SMF
2008 Bullitt #5389
dps214

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 11:27:18 PM »

Probably depends on the group too. The one miata club event I ran they made the course by just horribly pinching off the already tight corners and leaving the straights untouched. Groups that aren't trying (in misguided fashion) to bias the course to favor small cars might make better courses. Though I've also driven the track with no cones and it's really not great to begin with, just barely topped out second gear at the fastest point for reference.

Dan Shea
'90 Miata - 13 STS
'00 M Roadster SC
splash
AX Chief's round table member
Crashtest Dummy

You can see what I'm thinking about!

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 12:50:13 AM »

I ran my STI on Circleville a few years ago just after a kart practice, without any cones at all.

Even without any cones, it still felt like an autocross course, 2nd gear everywhere but the longer straight and turn 1. Good fun, but no real choice of line. I can just imagine Randy's Thunderchicken here... He'd be doing good to keep all 4 on pavement without any sliding... Smiley

I can also just imagine how tight it is once the Miata club gets a hold of it.

STU 82/182
OVR Youth/Kart Steward
craig71188
AX Chief's round table member
Forum Veteran

The Voice of Reason(?)

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 08:46:02 AM »

We ran the Nissan truck there along with an E36 BMW on the "open track" for a test.  For the truck, 2nd gear all the way around.  When I was at a UFO (United Ford Owners) event, they just added a chicane on the longest (north side) straight prior to the downhill lefthander.  It's probably fun to do once, but after that it could be a bit monotonous (if you like variety).  If you want to test changes you have made it is pretty much a "set course" to use for comparisons.

Craig Butt - who knows what he'll show up with next!
dps214

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 09:02:37 AM »

I ran my STI on Circleville a few years ago just after a kart practice, without any cones at all.

Even without any cones, it still felt like an autocross course, 2nd gear everywhere but the longer straight and turn 1. Good fun, but no real choice of line. I can just imagine Randy's Thunderchicken here... He'd be doing good to keep all 4 on pavement without any sliding... Smiley

I can also just imagine how tight it is once the Miata club gets a hold of it.

We took data just for fun. In the STS miata top speed was in the low 50s and every. single. corner. was in the low 20s. If it was an event we cared about (or weren't winning our class anyway) there would have been about 6 first gear downshifts per run. Running unrestricted the corner by the pit entry/exit is actually pretty fun, but that being the only point of access to the track I doubt it ever gets included in autocross courses. It was definitely more fun than not autocrossing, but I haven't missed it in the two years since then.

Dan Shea
'90 Miata - 13 STS
'00 M Roadster SC
RandyT

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 09:13:21 AM »

Thanks everyone, that definitely helps with deciding if we want to do it.  I think it's probably worth a try at least once so we'll probably attend this next event.

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: