OVR SCCA Forum
July 11, 2020, 10:57:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any physics geeks out there?  (Read 6659 times)
profmathers
AX Chief's round table member
Keyboard Enthusiast

« on: October 21, 2010, 10:03:23 AM »

saw this on the web this morning...
osu_ti

Go Bucks!

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 01:11:38 PM »

waaaaay too fast!   Cheesy

Josh McDonough
Aaron
Forum Veteran

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 04:22:19 PM »

Yay Doppler!

#117 STU Cayman

The object of autocross is to do the least amount of autocross.
wheelsoffury

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 07:20:59 PM »

Nice!

Gary Nolan - BSP Mad Man, and a Heckuva Nice Guy
pylnrcr
Was Novice Long Ago

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 07:38:39 PM »

I don't get it...... Embarrassed

which means i'm stupider than I thought I was a minute ago. Crap.... my stupid is growing.... i need a bumper sticker that says that.
piloti33

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 08:07:05 PM »

Blue has a shorter wavelength than red. So when you're closing on the dude's bumper at Warp 10, the same Doppler effect everyone knows for sound applies to light too...known as redshift or blueshift.

YAY COLLEGE FILLER-CLASS ASTRONOMY!

Ben Linfield
The Contour Superleggera - R.I.P. 10/24/11; REBORN 1/27/13!
DaWorstPlaya

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 11:30:12 AM »

Blue has a shorter wavelength than red. So when you're closing on the dude's bumper at Warp 10, the same Doppler effect everyone knows for sound applies to light too...known as redshift or blueshift.

YAY COLLEGE FILLER-CLASS ASTRONOMY!

Still doesn't make sense, the "Red" sticker absorbs all other wavelengths in the visible spectrum and only reflects "Red" which is what we see. If you don't see red, it would be black (not blue) as all other wavelengths have been absorbed. Doh!  Cheesy

What line?
10 STS
splash
Crashtest Dummy

You can see what I'm thinking about!

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 10:46:12 AM »

Maybe the sticker is really white, and they are driving too fast...

STU 82/182
OVR Youth/Kart Steward
wheelsoffury

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 08:49:13 PM »

A good example of the Dopplar Effect is like when you hear a car go by, and it sounds high pitched as it approaches you, then low pitched as it is going away from you. The wavelengths the car are generating in frequencies aren't really changing (Unless he lifted off the throttle right as he passed you). They're being shortened as it approaches you because each successive wave eminates from a closer point to you, making it sound higher pitched than it really is. Once it passes you, each successive wave starts at a point further from you, in effect, lengthening the waves, thus the lower frequency. Neither one you hear is actually an accurate representation of what the car sounds like. (Notice In car cameras always sound different than ones filming from outside?) The actual frequency would be in the middle of the two.

Light is a wavelength as well, so if you could travel at speeds near the speed of light, you would see colors change in appearance to you, (They wouldn't actually change in reality either). depending on whether you were approaching or going away from something.

As I understand it, this is why they know the universe is expanding, because the color of the supernovi that have been witnessed indicates as such. If it were contracting, it would be a different color.

p.s. This has been brought to you by a man who watches the Science Channel and Discovery more than he would care to admit. Well...and I read a book on physics once.

Gary Nolan - BSP Mad Man, and a Heckuva Nice Guy
pylnrcr
Was Novice Long Ago

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 09:24:03 PM »

A good example of the Dopplar Effect is like when you hear a car go by, and it sounds high pitched as it approaches you, then low pitched as it is going away from you.

I heard that same sound when Tonya Smith was driving Hoovers Tiger - a loud pitched squeal of delight as the car approached followed by the roar of the exhaust as it went away. (right after the compulsory 360 spin)
splash
Crashtest Dummy

You can see what I'm thinking about!

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 11:23:08 PM »

As I understand it, this is why they know the universe is expanding, because the color of the supernovi that have been witnessed indicates as such. If it were contracting, it would be a different color.

Wouldn't it just chap their asses if they found out that supernovae just emitted a crapton of hydrogen and therefore looked red all the time, even if they weren't getting any farther or closer?

STU 82/182
OVR Youth/Kart Steward
DaWorstPlaya

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 12:57:11 AM »

Maybe the sticker is really white, and they are driving too fast...

LOL! True

A good example of the Dopplar Effect is like when you hear a car go by, and it sounds high pitched as it approaches you, then low pitched as it is going away from you. The wavelengths the car are generating in frequencies aren't really changing (Unless he lifted off the throttle right as he passed you). They're being shortened as it approaches you because each successive wave eminates from a closer point to you, making it sound higher pitched than it really is. Once it passes you, each successive wave starts at a point further from you, in effect, lengthening the waves, thus the lower frequency. Neither one you hear is actually an accurate representation of what the car sounds like. (Notice In car cameras always sound different than ones filming from outside?) The actual frequency would be in the middle of the two.

Light is a wavelength as well, so if you could travel at speeds near the speed of light, you would see colors change in appearance to you, (They wouldn't actually change in reality either). depending on whether you were approaching or going away from something.

Good explanation

What line?
10 STS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: