OVR SCCA Forum
October 17, 2017, 07:37:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Off Topic  (Read 61245 times)
pylnrcr
AX Chief's round table member
Was Novice Long Ago

« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2010, 01:00:56 AM »

I still can't figure out how they can stand that close to the road with cars driving that aggressively.
Fixed that for ya.  Wink
That too....
lao ce
Global Moderator
Forum Veteran

« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2011, 05:45:23 PM »

happy new year.

Best new year resolution: never again will I try to diffuse an explosive device with the help of a known practical joker.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 04:14:02 PM by lao ce » Logged
profmathers
Keyboard Enthusiast

« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2011, 03:48:40 PM »

subris |ˈsoō
lao ce
Global Moderator
Forum Veteran

« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2011, 04:05:14 PM »

hahhhaha!  Cheesy
pylnrcr
Was Novice Long Ago

« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2011, 06:11:56 AM »

Seriously....Huh

We've just climbed out of the basement after spending 45 mins cowering from the tornado warnings and tree limbs bouncing off the house. My outside thermometer says it's 64 degrees at the moment... and yet we have a chance of snow by mid afternoon.

Gotta love Ohio!
Bub
Crashtest Dummy

#13 STC Chevy Turbo Sonic

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2011, 06:57:29 AM »

The wind and rain woke me up at about 5:30.   No tornado warning right where we are at that I've heard, but definitely high winds,  warm temps, and a lot of rain.  I ran out to pick up the trash bin that had been shoved 20 feet from where it was. 
pylnrcr
Was Novice Long Ago

« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2011, 12:11:43 AM »

An epic full moon tonight makes for camera fun. From the back yard.
Bub
Crashtest Dummy

« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2011, 04:42:55 PM »

Really.. are you friggan kidding me... 2" of snow !!   Yea.. it'll be all melted by noon tomorrow, but still... really...
profmathers
Keyboard Enthusiast

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2011, 03:12:17 PM »

Really.. are you friggan kidding me... 2" of snow !!   Yea.. it'll be all melted by noon tomorrow, but still... really...

Rain/sleet/snow for Saturday.  Screw this Miata noise, I'm bringing the Subaru if this crap forecast keeps up.
Bub
Crashtest Dummy

« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2011, 05:58:58 PM »

Check this pic out here.... autocross air:  http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w128/s1mpsons/flying.jpg
pylnrcr
Was Novice Long Ago

« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2011, 07:05:26 PM »

Read this on another forum. Thought I would share.

Definition of tools...

DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted project which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light . Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, 'Oh sh--!'

SKILL SAW: A portable cutting tool used to make studs too short.

PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.

BELT SANDER: An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle... It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VISE-GRIPS: Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your shop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub out of which you want to remove a bearing race.

TABLE SAW: A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity.

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering an automobile to the ground after you have installed your new brake shoes , trapping the jack handle firmly under the bumper..

BAND SAW: A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut good aluminum sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash can after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge.

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST: A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids or for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.

STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER: A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.

PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to make hoses too short.

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.

UTILITY KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on contents such as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund checks, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work clothes, but only while in use.

TOOL: (A personal favorite!!) Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling ----------!' at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, be the next tool that you will need.

Hope you found this informative.
pylnrcr
Was Novice Long Ago

« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2011, 09:54:25 PM »

wow.....

Video of 2x4 flying through the window of a car.  Huh As it was being driven on a freeway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOhgMAOrp0c&feature=player_embedded
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:56:49 PM by pylnrcr » Logged
Bub
Crashtest Dummy

« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2011, 12:58:26 AM »

DAMN!  Just wondering, but what in the world was that guy filming?  I questioned if it was real or not at first, but looks pretty convincing..  Yipes!
Miniata
Forum Veteran

« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2011, 02:29:15 AM »

DAMN!  Just wondering, but what in the world was that guy filming?  I questioned if it was real or not at first, but looks pretty convincing..  Yipes!
I saw something on the news about it. It was a woman driving and filming. Something about that she was ticked off that two trucks in front of her were blocking traffic and driving slowly, so she was filming them so she could report them and have proof  Huh

Keith Miller
#70 HS
#70 STS
Bub
Crashtest Dummy

« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2011, 05:55:49 PM »

I saw this about a week or so ago and had a laugh..  A Miata and a Del Sol lined up.  Smiley  Believe it or not that Del Sol was what appeared to be a mint condition B16 model... an even more rare beast than mine.  FWIW after seeing 7-7.5" wide tires on small cars like these at autocross events seeing the stock wheels and tires look tiny when you see similar cars on the street. 

pylnrcr
Was Novice Long Ago

« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2011, 12:13:56 AM »

In case you want to know why I can't autocross much, training has been keeping me busy but I'm getting better - check it out -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j-HHOiTZBH4#at=148

Note: Beermans feelings were not harmed in the making of this post.
BeerMan
Was Novice Long Ago

« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2011, 01:00:08 AM »

..................Note: Beermans feelings were not harmed in the making of this post.

How do you know?  You didn't ask me.

A-hole!
pylnrcr
Was Novice Long Ago

« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2011, 11:19:10 AM »

..................Note: Beermans feelings were not harmed in the making of this post.

How do you know?  You didn't ask me.

A-hole!

See....  try to show a little compassion and this is how you react.  Kiss
31rx7
Global Moderator
Street Racer

Stirring the pot...

« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2011, 02:03:25 PM »

He is getting crabby in his old age.

I have two big heavy 'Murican race cars. Must be an old guy thing.
lao ce
Global Moderator
Forum Veteran

« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2011, 06:17:01 PM »

I am back. This is my first post (and first activity all together) on my fixed computer. I had a bad HDD and 2 virus infections. It took a while to fix it fully (I hope fully). No, I didn't get the viruses because I visited those kind of miata pages!

Anyhow, it is harder and harder to fight with viruses. They mess up the whole hard drive, file attributes, registry, control panel, browser settings, user profile, policies, everything. By the way, Firefox SUCKS. And now it is official: I am going chrome.
31rx7
Global Moderator
Street Racer

Stirring the pot...

« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2011, 06:29:31 PM »

I use Chrome exclusively at home.  At work we are on IE 8 or something like that. Ugh.

Bub
Crashtest Dummy

« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2011, 09:37:29 PM »

You must have gotten into something real nasty then.. most viruses and spyware I see day in and out are just generic "buy this" fake AV software packages that are pretty easy to remove.  Been quite a long time since I've seen a machine with just a good old pop up problem.   Cheesy   I have always used IE (currently IE8).  I have used Firefox and Chrome on occasion, but rarely.  A lot of plugin apps won't work with Firefox and Chrome.  I use Roboform for passwords and form filling and last I checked it does not work with Chrome or Firefox.   Oh well...
splash
Member with Way Too Many Posts

You can see what I'm thinking about!

« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2011, 11:25:33 PM »

I run Chrome, but I still find pages every now and then that it doesn't render properly, so I need Firefox for those.

Bub, Firefox and Chrome don't need password and form filling plugins, they handle that internally.

Rich, what is this IE, you speak of? Is that like when they used to use wood spoked wheels?  Cheesy

STU 82/182
OVR Youth/Kart Steward
lao ce
Global Moderator
Forum Veteran

« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2011, 08:01:00 AM »

You must have gotten into something real nasty then..
I don't know how serious was it, but it was nasty enough for me.
First one of my HDD (inside of the raid) went off and I was about to fix it (rebuild it) when I got the first virus (during the resynch). Norton, Avira, half a dozen spyware and/or virus stuff was not able to fix it at all.
Exception is Hitman Pro what did recognize the bad guys (at this point I had a few kinds). But, since I tried it for 30 days already a while ago I had to buy and register it. I did that and got the registration key: didn't work. Great.
But I had the hitman report at least so I was able to remove the virus by hand. But it was impossible to set everything back to normal. Unfortunately the whole system was messed up on too many levels. I spent a lot of time rebuilding lost registry keys and incorrect policies but it was just impossible to fix everything. Then I spent about 250 dollars on a win7 ultimate because I was (and I am) ready to get rid of xp - I cannot postpone that forever anyhow. Overstock sent me a wrong one (broken case, seal not intact) I had to send it back, it is still on the road. Then I got bronchitis (IRL). Then dearest nationwide told me (and to everyone else) that they sold the software I was working on and the whole department will be laid off in 8-12 weeks - its about five hundred strong.

It was the low point. I wish there would be a way to stay in an artificial coma or something for a couple of weeks... you know there should be a website, you set the length of the coma, (nice dreams would cost extra) put it into the cart, pay with credit card and then bumm! Your head hits the keyboard and you are off the hook for a while.

Tuesday I went to the doctor and got some pills and I feel better now. I even went to the OVR board meeting to help improve my mood! Yesterday I've found a little program what was able to build back the rest of the registry keys and did a full restoration. Today I will think about the different paths I can take once I am out of the hamster wheel. Baby steps.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 08:03:32 AM by lao ce » Logged
BeerMan
Was Novice Long Ago

« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2011, 12:24:21 PM »

......................................  Tuesday I went to the doctor and got some pills and I feel better now. I even went to the OVR board meeting to help improve my mood! Yesterday I've found a little program what was able to build back the rest of the registry keys and did a full restoration. Today I will think about the different paths I can take once I am out of the hamster wheel. Baby steps.

So does that mean you can make it to the Columbus City Council meeting @ 5:30 on Tuesday?
lao ce
Global Moderator
Forum Veteran

« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2011, 01:52:14 PM »

Yes. I will try to go not alone.
Bub
Crashtest Dummy

« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2011, 10:13:36 AM »

I run Chrome, but I still find pages every now and then that it doesn't render properly, so I need Firefox for those.

Bub, Firefox and Chrome don't need password and form filling plugins, they handle that internally.

Rich, what is this IE, you speak of? Is that like when they used to use wood spoked wheels?  Cheesy

Yea I know browsers will hold your information..  I got into Roboform a few years back mainly because I read it was a lot more secure than the generic username / password handling that IE has.  (at the time I was using either IE6 or IE7).  I have since seen VERY similar features built into the latest version of the Norton IE toolbar that comes with Norton 360. Here is a couple of cool things you can do with it... 

1.  It creates a master password database that has individual login/password info for every site you have a user ID and Password for.  If you format your machine or want your logins, links, and passwords all transferred to another computer then all you have to do is copy that folder to the computer, install roboform, and know the "master password". 

2.  It has a password generator so you can generate really high security passwords using goofy characters and stuff that makes no sense at all.  All you have to know is the master password in order to fill the forms, but it makes your online password transactions very strong.  Granted I haven't really used that since if you are out and about or away from a machine that has the software loaded you're kind of screwed.  That being said... you can make a "mobile" version and keep it on a USB stick for those occasions. 
lao ce
Global Moderator
Forum Veteran

« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2011, 06:42:19 AM »

what a save
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPCGnkApnDU
das borgen
Keyboard Enthusiast

« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2011, 10:36:01 AM »

i need some tires mounted and balanced

who can do this for me locally for a reasonable price?

Rich- 95 Dakar Yellow M3
barely faster than a moving chicane
bmwohio
Member with Car-Pal Tuner Syndrome

Run what ya brung!

« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2011, 10:39:30 AM »

i need some tires mounted and balanced

who can do this for me locally for a reasonable price?

Rich, I've never used this guy, but he's been recommended to me a few times.  Let me know if you contact him, I'd love to know his pricing. 

racerphil@hotmail.com - 614.888.8100, he's right off 23 north.

Kale
#22 STX
31rx7
Global Moderator
Street Racer

Stirring the pot...

« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2011, 10:56:19 AM »

Highly recommend racerphil,  Phil Alspach.  He's one of us.

das borgen
Keyboard Enthusiast

« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2011, 11:48:42 AM »

i came here to delete my post since I remembered about Phil...........then I saw you both had already answered..LOOL

thanks guys Cheesy

Rich- 95 Dakar Yellow M3
barely faster than a moving chicane
pylnrcr
Was Novice Long Ago

« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2011, 12:23:47 PM »

inSANE is the proper description - check out this urban downhill bike racing video.  Cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIe6hYAdw_I

Bub
Crashtest Dummy

« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2011, 10:17:34 AM »

Microcenter has these little HD cameras for cheap:   

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0360953

http://www.sony.lv/product/dph-mobile-hd-snap-camera/mhs-pm5k

I got one to try it out because the price was so cheap... Lemme tell you.. at $80 it takes VERY good video at 720p 60fps in daylight conditions. (as with most cheaper cams indoor low lit conditions are lacking)   You can run higher and lower resolutions, but 720 is the only mode that is 60fps.  Anyway..  another thing that is nice.. it has a regular screw in type camera mount socket on the bottom... unlike most smart phones I've seen.  So.. if you are looking for something that has nice quality for Auto-x or whatever for cheap these are pretty nice.     
craig71188
Forum Veteran

The Voice of Reason(?)

« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2011, 12:57:11 PM »

Microcenter has these little HD cameras for cheap:   

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0360953

http://www.sony.lv/product/dph-mobile-hd-snap-camera/mhs-pm5k

I got one to try it out because the price was so cheap... Lemme tell you.. at $80 it takes VERY good video at 720p 60fps in daylight conditions. (as with most cheaper cams indoor low lit conditions are lacking)   You can run higher and lower resolutions, but 720 is the only mode that is 60fps.  Anyway..  another thing that is nice.. it has a regular screw in type camera mount socket on the bottom... unlike most smart phones I've seen.  So.. if you are looking for something that has nice quality for Auto-x or whatever for cheap these are pretty nice.     

Nice catch - and thank you!  6 now left in stock (after I got mine!).  They are nice in that among the small camera's I've looked at it has:
1) Removable/replaceable battery
2) A seperate memory card (vs. internal memory)
3) 360 degree lens looks like it might be interesting as well!

Craig Butt - who knows what he'll show up with next!
Saeo

« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2011, 01:23:09 AM »

Smiley

Joseph Ferguson
Honda Tech - Saeo
IT Forums - Saeo
Bub
Crashtest Dummy

« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2011, 01:53:48 AM »

Craig... thanks.. and yea.. you picked up on a couple of things I noticed...  I've spent this weekend recording all sorts of things...  Quality IMO is pretty great.. especially at the price point.  I recorded some disc golfing in bright daylight down to my nephew's birthday in candle light only and looks pretty good.  Yea.. no flash or LED light or anything, but still... 

I noticed that the "newer generation" bloggies don't have removable media and don't have the cool variable position lens.... also these come with a 4GB card and can use Sony memory sticks AND SD/SDHC cards... which a lot of us probably have.  You can go up to a 32gig stick if I am not mistaken which would take a LONG time to fill up. 

I've tried the 360 lens thing.. quality sucks in that mode because you are spreading your resolution in 4 times the normal area, but a cool novelty and shows you where that technology COULD be eventually.  Once you see how it works you'll know what I mean... cool auto-x possible applications there too since you do get a full 360 view that you can pan at will... kind of "matrix style". 

I'm not 100% sure of battery life yet... it could be the weakest point of this unit.  I however might not have charged it a full 4 hours (or more) first time out.  I am definitely gonna look into getting an extra battery or two just to be sure to have backups.  Overall for a small pocket sized "camcorder" it does a good job at what it is designed to do... especially in 720p...
lao ce
Global Moderator
Forum Veteran

« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2011, 03:19:16 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRIq3UhoB-M

Best interview moments of Mika.
Bub
Crashtest Dummy

« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2011, 04:16:39 PM »

I finally posted up a video on youtube from the bloggie camera... it isn't autocross, but check it out in 720p.  Keep in mind.. the original looks just a bit better, but for a youtube translation it looks pretty good. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74Qj4Kq0km0
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 04:19:17 PM by Bub » Logged
Bub
Crashtest Dummy

« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2011, 11:45:17 AM »

Check out a picture from this motorcycle competition...   This is like a slow speed autocross from hell.   Cheesy

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2011/10/happening-2011-orange-county-traffic-officers-association-motor-rodeo/

here are some more pics:
http://hellforleathermagazine.com/positions/happening/OCchp-lyt.html

I actually found a video on youtube too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOWvC0lFIxE
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 11:48:25 AM by Bub » Logged
Bub
Crashtest Dummy

« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2011, 07:47:07 AM »

Hey Craig... check this out... I was looking for extra batteries for this thing and a charger...  Most everywhere seemed to be between $35 and $50 for a single battery.  On overstock.com of all places I got TWO batteries, and a charger that is both a wall AND car charger for UNDER $15 shipped!!   Actually... it cost me $12.97 for ALL 3 PIECES!!  Probably one of the best deals I've ever gotten online.  Now I have TONS of battery life.   (batteries were $3 each and the charger was $6 with $1 shippingOH... FYI the item #'s on Overstock.com are 13676091 and 12379049 .   Definitely worth it!
profmathers
Keyboard Enthusiast

« Reply #91 on: November 10, 2011, 12:14:44 PM »

speaking of AWD 80's insanity:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/2657304065.html

Who's buying it?
31rx7
Global Moderator
Street Racer

Stirring the pot...

« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2011, 07:51:59 PM »

Who's buying it?
I always thought they were cool little cars.  Too bad that Isuzu didn't make it in the car market.

Saeo

« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2011, 03:45:46 AM »

Who's buying it?
Thats Billy's car.  He lives one block down from us.  He use to autocross his silver EVO X, and has shown up in his other red Isuzu Impulse to one event.  It had a pad piston or a thrown rod or something, and he completely rebuilt the engine.  The car is super clean for its age, runs good, and sounds sweet.

Joseph Ferguson
Honda Tech - Saeo
IT Forums - Saeo
Fourvalve

« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2011, 09:39:33 PM »

This is hilarious - as long is it wasn't YOUR car...

http://jalopnik.com/5865185/why-you-dont-leave-your-wrx-unattended-at-an-endurance-race

Second is the first last place...
31rx7
Global Moderator
Street Racer

Stirring the pot...

« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2011, 10:25:57 PM »

Hilarious?  Reality.  Always drive a beater when going to an endurance race.

Speaking of stealing parts...

In 1995 when Kathy did the Runoffs,  she needed to do the last National race at Topeka to qualify for the Runoffs in SSB. For you old timers, you may remember that this was the racing season that caused us to get out of racing for a few years 

We got to Heartland Park, and in qualifying, the Neon broke two rocker arms.  So, the DOHC 16 valve was really a 14 valve and she was 3 seconds off the pace. Things were not looking good.

Coincidentally, this was the same year Chrysler was big time into SCCA and provided numerous courtesy cars to the club.  Also, it just so happened the Pro Solo National Championships were happening next door at Forbes Field.   Once we discovered the broken parts on our Neon, Tom Hickey suggested asking Marge Binks (a BOD member) if we could "borrow" the parts off of the courtesy car she was driving. 

Of course, Marge obliged, and we cannibalized her Neon to put parts on ours.  In the race, Kathy immediately shot up to second place and was running at a good clip.  Easy trophy and points.  On the LAST FREAKING LAP of the race, the coil crapped out on the car.  So, she dropped from second...to third...to fourth...and out of the money.  Kathy limped across the finish line (1/2 car length in front of Racer Phil), and qualified for the Runoffs.   

After the race, we had to put the parts back on to Marge's courtesy car.  Unfortunate, the valve cover gasket was uncooperative and would not get in place.  So, I cut the gasket and slopped some RTV in there to plug the hole, over filled the oil (figuring it would leak) and gave the car back to Marge. Mission accomplished.   

The 1995 Runoffs are a story unto themselves, but I will say at the tent, the Chrysler guy (name escapes me) came around and we were talking.  I told him the above story, and he told me "Damn. I wondered why that car leaked so much oil!".

100% true story.  And, why I race. You just can't make this stuff up.

TONYA

Guess who?

« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2011, 12:30:56 PM »

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn

skill and idiots all wrapped in on. Shocked
98_Milano_Teg

« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2011, 06:37:32 PM »

I am back. This is my first post (and first activity all together) on my fixed computer. I had a bad HDD and 2 virus infections. It took a while to fix it fully (I hope fully). No, I didn't get the viruses because I visited those kind of miata pages!

Anyhow, it is harder and harder to fight with viruses. They mess up the whole hard drive, file attributes, registry, control panel, browser settings, user profile, policies, everything. By the way, Firefox SUCKS. And now it is official: I am going chrome.

I use strictly Firefox for all my internet browsing. But then again...I do have a MacBook, and they don't get viruses like PC's do.

Peter Ferguson - #641 SMF
1998 Acura Integra
Canine Obedience Instruction
Bub
Crashtest Dummy

« Reply #98 on: December 25, 2011, 09:17:22 AM »

Mac's do get viruses contrary to some beliefs.. I get the occasional call on them being all jacked up with pop ups and warnings, but with a tiny percentage of desktops being macs that is part of the reason for lesser reports too..  they are programmed more securely, but still.. hard to compare when some 90% of most houses have a PC over a mac.  (kind of like asking the local Jiffy Lube how many Ferrari's or Lambo's they've done oil changes in a year  Cheesy

I still use IE and Firefox once and awhile.  Just stay off the Porn, Gambling, "Free Download" and watch for shady search results and you'll be straight.  In my 25+ years of using a PC I've never had a real virus infect a machine.  Had a few minor spyware issues 2 or 3 times, but nothing that a few minutes wasn't able to correct. 

Anyway.. Merry X-mas people!
lao ce
Global Moderator
Forum Veteran

« Reply #99 on: December 25, 2011, 11:38:14 AM »

Its nothing to do with porn, free downloads and doing shady things. Last time i was looking for brochure design ideas when I got virus from a site. Agi got virus from a recipe site (food recipe before you start to wonder Smiley ). Both places were visited cause they were listed in google results. So nothing shady, simple browsing resulted google redirect virus variations with root infections.

Both came through firefox like nothing was there. We both have firewalls and virus software installed, but it didn't matter cause the root virus passed them. Those programs were only able to catch the secondary infections what came after the root infection opened the door for other stuff.  Nothing helped, no norton no avira and no spyware programs. Only three things I've found what actually helps
1) hitman pro (free trial)
2) combofix (use with care)
3) TDSSKiller CAN help if you are lucky enough to be able to start it (some virus prevents starting this program). Simple renaming doesn't always help, but there is a trick how to rename the file to make it run.

+1) I started to use a program called sandboxie. It runs processes in a separated memory area, what can be wiped out all together with a push of a button. I don't know yet if it protects me against this kind of trouble because since I started to use it I did not have a problem with viruses. But I hope it will not let anything leak into windows at all.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 11:42:32 AM by lao ce » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: